The Food and Drug Administration came up with the news that honey should be strictly prohibited for the new born. Parents are alerted about it. Even they are warned as four children in US died out of ‘infant botulism’.
Children under six months should be kept away from drinking water as it could be fatal for them.
The ‘no honey’ alertness was made to be aware when in Texas four infants developed botulism after they were exposed to sweet stuffs. According to the FDA those infants were being subjected to honey pacifiers, which can be purchased online. After that incident they were going through ‘life-saving treatment’.
FDA made the awareness that under age 1 no child should be given honey. Now the question arises that why is honey so dangerous for children?
Honey contains a bacteria that produces toxins in baby’s intestine leading to infant-botulism. This is a condition when a baby swallows a resistant form of bacteria in the form of spore from contaminated soil or food or honey.
This spores doesn’t affect adults or children above 1 year as the body starts to build up defense mechanism against it. Therefore the sweet delight is dangerous for babies below 1 year.
The symptoms include vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea or constipation. The NHS explains that affected ones might have problems in expressing or crying. They wouldn’t be easily feed and will have floppy head or neck.
But there are baby food with honey in it, but those are highly treated in high temperatures and the bacteria is made to die. Hence parents are advised against involving honey in any cooking. As the sweet treat isn’t worth of your baby’s life.