The cone-flower, commonly termed for Echinacea is a very amazing addition for your garden. The name comes from its cone shaped central disc that stands separate from the petals. The most exclusive feature of the echinacea flower is the petals which are slightly reflexed or droopy.
Purple cone flower or E. Purperea is the most popular of the cone species. Now here you get to well accustomed to Echinacea and how marvellously it will decorate up your garden.
1. At the first sight it will be captured in your heart and your mind will speak that it is very bold and beautiful flower. It is tall,standing erect holding large single flower above the foliage. This flowers are 4-6 inches and are long lasting.
2. The purplish pink flower is the most common species but there are lot more other variations and bright colors. Hybrids of this coneflower yields various other shades of peach, purples, orange and even red.
3. Echinacea blooms mostly during summer season. The central disc florets of echinacea produces a lot of nectar,which in turn attracts various pollinators towards it. It’s really a visual delight to see pollinators fluttering in full bloom. Pollination helps other crops growing in the garden.
4. This flower attracts goldfinches, because they are particularly attract to echinacea seeds. Therefore even in winters they don’t fail to be useful.
5. Echinacea is a true native of North America. It’s really important to promote native plants as it is the basic means of the native wildlife. Hence echinacea is extremely prominent.
6. Echinacea is having a amazing healing properties. It is widely recognized as medicinal herb. It was used to cure flu viruses and pathogenic bacteria. It’s having anti inflammatory and anti microbial activities which heals upper respiratory problems and wounds, insect bites etc.
7. Echinacea the wild flower is famous for its various forms. The natives used it’s roots for medicinal purposes. It’s leaves can be even useful in the preparation of the medicinal tea, which is extremely popular among the natives.
8. It is very easy to grow. Just by the seeds or the cuttings or divisions and easily adopts to climatic conditions. It doesn’t needs much of the gardener’s attention or like to be pampered. There are various varieties of echinacea available.
9. Echinacea is a perennial plant. Therefore it is very important to have it in your garden as perennial plants doesn’t need any other plants to grow everyday season.
10. Echinacea grows and adapts almost all climatic conditions. It might require some amount of water but it can resist almost a long period of drought. It is shade tolerant too.